The Botanical Gardens at Asheville receives no public funding. Therefore, we depend on our loyal corps of volunteers to ensure our success.
Due to the fragile nature of our plant collection, we require our Garden Volunteers to have past gardening experience and to be prepared for physical labor in various weather conditions.
VISITOR CENTER HOST
Most of our volunteers work in our Visitor Center greeting visitors, making gift shop sales, and serving as our ambassadors to the Gardens. Indoor volunteers work a four hour afternoon shift in March and November and a three hour morning or afternoon shift April-October. Some volunteers choose to work a regular shift (or shifts) each month, and some fill in as their schedules permit.
We provide one-on-one training. Previous retail experience is not required. We have a special need for volunteers willing to work weekend shifts.
The Botanical Gardens operates on a frugal budget, and we try to do all the maintenance we can in-house. We’re always in need of volunteers with special skills in engineering, carpentry, electrical, etc.
VOLUNTEER BENEFITS include:
- 15% discount in the Visitor Center (more on special occasions)
- Discounts on educational programs
- A subscription to our quarterly newsletter
- Opportunity to learn about native plants and wildlife
- Annual volunteer appreciation party!
- The company of civic-minded, earth-friendly native plant lovers
- The opportunity to meet visitors from around the globe
If you are interested in volunteering at BGA, complete our volunteer application form and return it to the Visitor Center. We’ll follow-up asap.